WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Mutton Broth Soup

I have memories of my mom making this whenever the "winter" started to settle in (Bahrain's winter is basically 65 degrees Fahrenheit and cloudy/hazy/foggy), or if I had a cold or sore throat. It was the perfect combination of whole spices and the earthy flavor of mutton (ideally goat meat, but you can use lamb if you can't find any goat meat), cooked down so that all the meat is literally falling off the bones. The clear broth becomes rich in minerals and collagen from the bones, making it a great way to stave off the cold (weather or ailment).

Ingredients
1 lb mutton (goat or lamb, you can buy the pieces ready for stewing, just make sure they have BONES in them)
2 sticks cinnamon
1 tsp whole cloves
2 tsp whole black pepper
2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
1 tbsp fennel seeds
2-3 cups water (or enough to submerge the meat)
1/2 tsp turmeric pwd
1 tbsp rough chop ginger
1 clove garlic
Salt to taste
Ghee to serve

Cook
My mom makes this in a pressure cooker, which is much faster than just in a pot which may take hours. You could also try the Instantpot, I'm sure that will yield good results too and will be faster than just boiling on the stove.

Put all the spices, ginger, garlic and turmeric in a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil.
Once boiling, add the meat pieces and make sure they are covered with water. Add salt.
Allow this to boil for about 20 mins without the lid of the pressure cooker.
Cover with lid and pressurize. Allow 4 whistles.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The whistles are essential in releasing pressure, so that the cooker doesn't explode. If your cooker is not releasing steam slowly, or whistling, then it is either faulty or you have not set it up correctly. Please check your manufacturer's instructions before using the pressure cooker, especially if you have never used one before.

Turn the heat off and let the pot cool before trying to open it.
Garnish with ghee and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment