WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Kaadha - the sore throat soother

My parents used to make giant pot of this whenever one of us was sick, because they knew if one went down, the others would follow, and we would all be drinking it. It is a great soother of sore throats. I wouldn't call it a cure, but it definitely has some healing qualities. Some of the herbs you may never have heard of and frankly I had to look up the english definition of them. If you really want to make this you may have to venture to a spice store, or peruse Amazon.

Ingredients:
6 cups water
4 tsp mint leaves (dried or fresh)
4 tsp tulsi leaves (dried or fresh, this is basically holy basil, but don't use regular basil. You can buy these dried leaves on Amazon or Thrive Market)
1 tsp black peppercorn, crushed in mortar and pestle (m&p)
1 tsp cloves, crushed in m&p
2 tsp Jestimadh powder (Marathi), or Yashtimadhu (Sanskrit), or dried licorice root powder
3 tsp minced ginger
4 tsp coriander seeds, crushed in m&p
2 tsp sugar

Preparation:
Bring everything to a boil and let it simmer until it is about 2/3 or half the original volume.
Strain out the herbs for every cup you pour, but don't throw them away, you can keep adding water and boiling a couple more times. It will retain some potency.


No comments:

Post a Comment