WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Ukrainian Borscht Fantasy

I don't have a Ukrainian grandma. And I don't really have many Eastern European friends, or at least none that will cook for me. But for some reason, I have come to the conclusion that I like borscht, and it is something I have to make every fall when the weather starts to cool down. And also when my CSA starts sending me the perfect combination of vegetables for this wonderful, umami-filled deliciousness. Many borscht recipes call for meat, but if you want to skip it, I don't think it's the end of the world, it is still a delicious recipe. This recipe is based on the combination of a few I have tried. I think it's pretty good. The real test will be when an Ukrainian tells me "This is the best borscht I have ever had!". HAH! That will be the day!

Ingredients
16 oz pork sausage, removed from casing and crumbled
3 medium beets, peeled and shredded
3 carrots, peeled and shredded
1 leek, white and green part, sliced
1 cup tomato sauce (you can use canned, or I like to use Marcella Hazan's tomato sauce recipe)
3/4 cup water or broth
1/2 medium head cabbage, shredded
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried marjoram
1 bay leaf
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp oil
Dollop of sour cream per serving

Cook
Heat oil in large pot on medium heat.
Cook the sausage down until no longer pink and has release some juices.
Add bay leaf and leeks and cook until leeks are soft. Add tomato sauce, broth/water, and marjoram and stir until well combined.
Add the garlic, the remaining shredded vegetables (cabbage, carrots and beets), salt, sugar, and black pepper and simmer for 20 minutes on low heat or until vegetables are cooked through.
Stir in balsamic vinegar.
Turn off heat, ladle into bowls and dollop about a tbsp of sour cream in every bowl.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment