WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Baingan Bhartha (eggplant Maharashtrian style)

Considering how much I hate eggplant, I just realized I have a lot of eggplant recipes on this blog. Grrr! Oh well, for all your eggplant lovers, have at it :)
Although this recipe has the same name as the Punjabi version, it is a very different flavor, and also temperature! Yes, this one is eaten cold, not hot. This is the baingan bhartha I grew up with and it is actually the few times that I will enjoy eating eggplant, rather than trying to eat around it, which you can't really do in this case because that's all there is.

Ingredients:
2 medium size eggplants (keep them whole)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 stems of cilantro, chopped (you can substitute this with parsley or mint, or all three if you like!)
2 dried red chillies
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Pinch of Asafoteida (hing)
1 tbsp oil
2 tbsp yogurt (this gives it a nice tangy flavor and goes well with the herbs)
Salt to taste

Preparation:
Pre-heat broiler to 400 F.
Place eggplant on cookie sheet and brush with some oil on all sides.
Roast in oven for 30-40 mins, turning every 10 mins so that all sides are cooked evenly. The skin should be charred and the inside flesh all soft. A good indication is if the eggplant looks like it is caving in on itself.
Take out of oven and let cool.
Scoop flesh out of skin into a bowl and discard skins.
Combine chopped onions with eggplant mash.

Cook:
Heat oil in shallow frying pan.
Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dried red chillies.
Once popped add hing and let sizzle for 30 seconds (until hing is slightly brown).
Remove from flame and pour over eggplant and onion mixture. You will hear the mixture sizzle as the hot oil hits the eggplant. This is good!
Once it has cooled a little, add the chopped cilantro and yogurt.
Salt to taste, usually about 1 tsp is enough.
Enjoy on a salad, or as a dip, or just on it's own!

No comments:

Post a Comment