WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Peanut Fried Rice

This is a dish I have to admit I kind of made up. It's a spin-off from a recipe a friend of mine gave me for Thai Peanut noodles, which are delicious. But I had leftover rice I wanted to use up, so this was perfect. Please note that this recipe is vegetarian, but if you would like to add some meat feel free to sear it separately and then combine at the end with all the rice and veggies. Alternative protein options are also welcome, like tofu or an egg which has been fried/scrambled first and incorporated into the dish at the end.


Ingredients:
1.5 cups long grain brown rice (or any other rice you might usually eat).
1 large carrot, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1 cup broccoli florets
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sugar snap peas, trimmed and halved
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp turmeric pwd
1/2 tsp chilli pwd
1 tbsp oil
Chopped cilantro for garnish

For the sauce:
1 cup stock (chicken or vegetable is fine)
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp garlic pwd
1 tsp ginger pwd
1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin pwd
1 tsp coriander pwd
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (don't be afraid to add more if you like the heat)

Preparation:
Cook the rice per package directions or in your rice cooker.
Once rice is cooked, let it cool and mix in turmeric an chili pwds.
Combine all the sauce ingredients and heat at the lowest flame so honey and peanut butter melt. Once combined, turn off heat.

Cook:
Heat oil in wide shallow saucepan on medium heat.
Add ginger and garlic and saute until fragrant (2-3 mins).
Add carrots, broccoli and onions and saute until onions become transparent.
Add remaining vegetables (frozen peas and sugar snap peas), cooked rice, and sauce, and stir so that all ingredients are combined being careful not to break the rice.
Turn heat down to low and cover, cook for 10 minutes.
Turn heat off and garnish with cilantro.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment