WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Andalusian Cabbage Stew

I adapted this recipe from Martha Rose Shulman. She has several books that contain an amazing array of Mediterranean vegetarian dishes, but this particular recipe I found in the NYTimes "Recipes for Health" section. It is a simple cabbage stew, spruced up with a variety of spices (which would be my doing since her recipe only called for paprika) and a vibrant splash of sherry vinegar at the end. Perfect to warm up your belly on a cold winter day... YUMMMM!

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small cabbage (about 1.5 lbs), diced (makes about 6 cups)
2 dried red chillies (adjust to taste), crushed
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin pwd
1 tbsp garlic pwd
2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp sugar
1 28oz can copped tomatoes with juice
2 cups vegetable stock
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp miso paste dissolved in 1/2 cup hot water (this eliminates the need for salt, and adds a nice umami flavor at the end)
Crushed black pepper to taste
1 tbsp sherry vinegar

Cook:
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add the onions and saute until transparent and tender, about 5 mins.
Add the bell pepper, garlic and dried red chilli. Cook until pepper and garlic is fragrant, about 3 mins.
Add the cabbage and cook stirring often, until the cabbage has lost most of it's volume, about 5 mins.
Add the paprika, cumin, garlic pwd, thyme and oregano and stir to combine.
Add the tomatoes and sugar and increase the heat. Cook the tomatoes down for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add vegetable stock, turn heat down to medium and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
The stew should be fairly thick and hearty by now. If not, cook on high heat for another 10 mins or so.
Turn heat off and wait for stew to stop boiling. Add the miso mixture, black pepper, and sherry vinegar.
Stir to combine.
ENJOY with thick slices of country bread or rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment