WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Curried Zucchini Scallion Pancakes

These pancakes are melt in your mouth delicious. I kind of made up the recipe after I got some huge zucchini in my CSA and instead of doing the usual zoodles or simple saute I decided to try something new. It is a combination of zucchini fritters and the doodhi (green gourd) recipe I have on this blog, but because of some additional ingredients, the batter becomes less fritter-like and more pancake-like. Hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients
4 cups zucchini or 2 large zucchini, shredded
1 cup scallions, sliced
2/3 cup all purpose flour
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
4 curry leaves, crushed (if they happened to dry up in the refrigerator, which is fine) or sliced (if they are still fresh and pliable)
1 green chili (either a habanero pepper, jalapeno pepper, or if you can find it, a thai green chili), minced
Pinch of asafoteida (hing)
1/2 tsp turmeric pwd
2 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp shredded or desiccated coconut
3 tsp salt, divided
1 tbsp brown sugar/raw sugar/jaggery
2 tbsp oil to temper spices
Oil for frying

Preparation
Once you are done grating the zucchini, place it in a colander and sprinkle 2 tsp of salt over it and mix well. The water from the zucchini will start to drain out.
Let it sit over the sink or a bowl for 30 minutes.
Using your hands, squeeze out the excess water.
Put the zucchini in a bowl, and add the flour, scallions, eggs, garam masala, 1 tsp salt and sugar/jaggery and stir until combined well and forms a batter.

Cook
Heat the oil for tempering the spices over medium heat.
Add mustard seeds. Once they start to pop, add hing, curry leaves and green chili and saute for 1 minute or until curry leaves start to turn brown. You don't want them to burn, but you want the green chili to cook a little also to infuse the oil with the flavor and heat.
Remove pan from heat and add turmeric, stir so that turmeric doesn't burn.
Once it has stopped sizzling, add to the zucchini bowl and combine with other ingredients.
Heat oil for frying over medium heat (I used about a tsp of oil per pancake, but this is totally up to you. Obviously, the more oil you use, the crispier the pancake turns out, but I was okay with softer pancakes so I didn't use too much oil)
Add 1/3 cup of the batter to the pan and press down to spread batter over pan. Let it cook for 5 minutes, or until you see edges turn brown and the batter firm up in the middle.
Carefully flip the pancake and cook for another 5 minutes on the other side.
The timing really depends on how hot your stove runs, I had to turn the heat down after a couple of pancakes as they were getting pretty crispy but the center was staying mushy.
Enjoy hot off the stove, or reheat on a pan.
Tip: these taste great dipped in some yogurt sauce (yogurt, cumin, salt)



No comments:

Post a Comment