WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Spicy Apple Chutney

This recipe was adapted from something I found on the food network website. I made it for a party once and it was quite a hit! Tastes good with crackers, on a toasted pita, with eggs, in a turkey sandwich, with onion fritters... basically ANYTHING! The recipe makes A LOT of it, about 3 cups. But you can freeze half of it and keep it aside so you don't get too bored of it. It lasts for a looooong time since there is some vinegar in it and quite a lot of spices, which act as natural preservatives.


Ingredients:
4 green apples
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 serrano chilies, diced with seeds
1 tsp ginger pwd
1 tsp ground allspice
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/4 cup water
1 tsp salt

Preparations:
Peel, core and roughly chop apples.

Cook:
Heat oil in large saucepan over high heat.
Add mustard seeds and let them pop.
Reduce heat and add onion, red bell pepper and salt. Stir occasionally until onions are soft and translucent.
Add garlic, serrano pepper, ginger pwd, allspice pwd and cook for one minute.
Add brown sugar, red wine vinegar, water and chopped apples. Stir to combine evenly.
Cook until mixture is soft, aromatic and thick, about 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment