WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Doodhi (Green gourd curry)

Green gourd (or bottle gourd as some call it) is not a very common vegetable. It is from the same squash family as pumpkins and zucchini. I stumbled upon it an Indian grocery store once and boy was I excited! My mom makes the most amazing spicy green gourd, and traditionally it is made with some moong dal. So here is my attempt at recreating it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do! Delicious!


Ingredients:
1 green gourd, peeled and diced into 1" size pieces
1 zucchini, peeled and diced into 1" size pieces
3/4 cup moong dal
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
4 dried curry leaves
Pinch of asafoteida (hing)
1 Thai green chili, slit open (sub. with jalapeno)
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp Goda masala (or garam masala)
1 tbsp shredded or dessicated coconut
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar or jaggery

Preparation:
Soak the moong dal in 1 cup water for at least 8 hours.

Cook:
Heat oil on medium heat in pot.
Once hot add mustard seeds, curry leaves, green chili and hing.
Once popped, add green gourd and zucchini and saute for a few minutes.
Add turmeric and stir to coat evenly.
Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Once almost cooked through, add moong dal with 1/2 cup of water.
Stir to combine evenly and cover again for another 5-7 minutes.
There should be remain a little water at the bottom of the pan, otherwise the Doodhi becomes too dry.
Once cooked, add salt, sugar/jaggery, goda/garam masala and shredded coconut.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment