WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Gruyere, Ham & Caramelized Onion Flatbread Pizza

This is a recipe I have used at several parties and it is always the first thing to go. It's a simple pizza (which you can turn into a complicated pizza if you are feeling ambitious) with a lot of flavor. I think the combination of caramelized onions and gruyere cheese originated in the south of France, and the addition of ham or bacon might be an American invention. Wherever it came from, it is all just YUM to me!

Ingredients:
4 flatbreads (any brand you like, you can even try pita bread)
3 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
2 red onions, thinly sliced
4 pieces of Canadian Bacon, chopped into small pieces (optional)
1 tbsp E.V.O.O
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook:
Preheat oven to 400F.
While oven is preheating, place flatbreads on metal sheet and bake for 5 minutes on each side so they become slightly crisp and dry. (This way they will hold up better to the toppings. This is true for any flatbread pizza you make. The drier the flatbread, the better it holds up to the water and juices that the toppings release while in the oven)
Heat E.V.O.O in a skillet on medium heat.
Melt the butter into the oil.
Add the sliced onions and saute until soft and dark brown. This may take upto an hour.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Preparation:
Spread the caramelized onion mixture evenly over each pizza.
Sprinkle the chopped Canadian bacon evenly.
Top with shredded Gruyere spread evenly over all the pizzas.
Salt and pepper to taste.
If you decide to use the bacon, you probably won't need anymore salt, as all bacon is always heavily laden with salt. But if not, you may need a lot more salt.

Place in oven for 10 minutes, enough to melt the cheese and seal all the flavors into the pizza.
ENJOY!

1 comment: