WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Preserved Meyer Lemons

I LOVE this recipe for preserved lemons. Once they are ready, you can use preserved lemons on almost anything and everything. The citrus flavor from these preserved lemons is a very concentrated flavor but without all the acidity. I don't know where all the acidity goes, I can't quite figure out the culinary science behind all that. All I know is that they are very versatile. I have roasted lamb with them, roasted salmon with them, put them on a salad, used the juices in salad dressings, used them in chimichurri, chopped them up and mixed them with tuna to make a delightfuly fresh and healthy tuna salad (minus the mayo). You can use them to make lemon bars, use the juices in cakes or pies... the list is endless. So get those creative juices flowing and find new ways to use them.
This makes a pretty large batch, so if this is your first time making them, you might want to halve it if you are unsure of it's uses. But I promise you once you find new ways of using them, you'll making them over and over again.

Ingredients:

4 Meyer lemons (you can obviously use other lemons if meyers are not available, but the flavor will definitely be very different. Meyers have a much sweeter citrus taste than other lemons, and they also usually have more juice)
2 tbsp sea salt
2 green or red chilies (I use the tiny Thai chilies but you can substitute these for serrano peppers or jalapenos if the Thai variety are not available)
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
2 tsp whole coriander seeds
1 tsp whole black peppercorn

Preparation:

Thoroughly scrub the lemons until any waxy residue is removed.
Cut the ends off the lemons and slice them crosswise into 1/4"  thick slices.
Put the lemons in a glass bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients.
Press down on the lemons to extract the juices.
Pack the lemons into a glass jar and push down so that they are covered with the juices (if you are not using Meyer lemons, you may need to add extra lemon juice to cover everything).
Cover the jar with plastic wrap and put a rubber band around the neck to hold the wrap in place. Do not use a sealed/air-tight lid as the lemons will release gases as they ferment which need to escape.
Leave the jar of lemons in a cool dark place. They will be ready to use in a week, but it is best to let them sit for at least 2 weeks, so that they are softer and the flavors are more balanced.
Once they achieve a flavor you are happy with, you can put them in the refrigerator to slow down the fermentation process.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment