WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

Channa Masala (Chickpea curry)

This dish is found in many if not most Indian restaurants. However, I always find it too tomato-ey or too greasy. My mom makes it with very little tomato, maybe too little. So I decided to adapt her recipe and one that I found on one of my favorite blogs, Orangette (see link http://orangette.blogspot.com/2006/02/public-display-of-chickpeas.html) I think the result is a perfect channa masala love-child! Since this (like many of my recipes) is an amalgamation, I will continue to tweak it and tinker with it every time I make it. I will be sure to include any successful changes here.


Ingredients:
2 15oz cans of chickpeas
2 red onions, finely chopped
2 large tomatoes, diced
3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
1" piece of ginger, peeled and grated
1 tsp red chili pwd
1/2 tsp turmeric pwd
1 tsp coriander pwd
1/2 tsp cumin pwd
1/2 tsp cardamom pwd
1 tsp channa masala pwd (available in most indian grocery stores, if unavailable sub. with garam masala)
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 cardamom pods
2 inch-long cinnamon sticks
2 cloves
1 tbsp cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
2 tbsp vegetable/canola/sunflower/olive oil

Cook:
Heat oil in dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves and cumin seeds.
Once popped add onions and saute until very brown and caramelized (some charring will happen which is fine). This will take a while, but it's worth it, the browner the onion, the more caramelized it will be, which will add more flavor to the dish.
Reduce heat to low and add the ginger, garlic, red chili pwd, turmeric pwd, coriander pwd, cumin pwd, cardamom pwd and channa/garam masala pwd. Stir constantly for 30 seconds until combined evenly and fragrant.
Add 1/4 cup of water and scrape up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Cook until water evaporates.
Increase heat to medium and add cilantro, tomatoes and salt. Add 1/4 cup of water and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and taste for seasoning.
Add chickpeas, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Very slightly smash the chickpeas with the back of a wooden spoon so that some of them are cracked open.
Once water has evaporated and the sauce is thick, add another 1/4 cup of water and let it simmer.
Continue the last step for the next hour until chickpeas are very soft and tender. This concentrates all the flavors and allows the chickpeas to absorb them.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.
ENJOY with a fluffy poori or steamed white rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment