WELCOME

I love to eat. And anyone who knows me knows that I also love to feed. Unfortunately I'm not always in close proximity to the people who love to eat my food. So this website is for those who miss my cooking, or for those who are feeling adventurous and are looking for some new flavor in their kitchen.
A lot of these recipes are family recipes and you will be hard pressed to find them in your friendly neighborhood Indian restaurant. They are also pretty regionally specific, so if you happen to find yourself in a "Marathi" restaurant in Mumbai (the most culturally diverse city in India), you may see some familiar fare on the menu.
From time to time I will stray from Indian food; Thai, Italian, Middle Eastern. But I always find my way back!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do.
Eat Happy!

PEAS PULAO

This is a simple rice dish that goes with almost every curry on the planet.



Ingredients:
2 cups basmati rice (white or brown)
4 cups water (for brown rice, add an extra cup of water)
1 cup green peas
½ cup carrots, chopped into small cubes (optional)
1 jalapeno (or any green chili), finely chopped
½” ginger, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp ghee (or butter)
1 tsp black cumin seeds (also known as Shahi Jeera)
2 cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste (approx. 1 tsp)
Cilantro and/or cashews to garnish (optional)

Preparation:
Wash the rice and drain off all the water.

Cook:
Heat the oil over medium heat.
Melt butter into the oil.
Add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and bay leaf.
Once popped, add onions, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno and sauté until golden brown.
Add the rice, peas and carrots and sauté until rice is separated.
Add the water and salt and bring to a boil.
Turn heat to low and let it simmer until water has evaporated and rice is done.
Garnish with cilantro and/or cashews.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment